Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Homeless Man and My Chicken.

This post is basically a random re-cap of the events of this week, and random it was....most likely significant to no one but me*The homeless man and my chicken - Cam and I did a quick Costco run on Monday. I should never go to Costco hungry. I LOVE their rotisserie chicken. I've got everything but the chicken loaded in the back of the car and this homeless man comes up to us and says, "Mam do you have six dollars. I'm trying to get enough money to stay at this hotel here in town tonight." Me, "I don't have any cash on me." At this point he is eyeing the chicken I have in my hand and says, "That sure is a nice chicken you have there." The chicken is in my hand and not in the back of the car because I know I have a plastic fork in my glove-box and I have every intention of sampling the chicken before I even get out of the parking lot. I said to the man, "Would you like my chicken?" Thinking he would say no because sometimes they are only after money. He says, "If it won't put you out to much that would be nice." I give him the chicken and Cam and I get in the car and buckle up. I am kinda bummed at this point because I was REALLY craving that chicken. I looked out my window and the man had sat down immediately on a rock and was diving into the chicken. He was indeed more hungry than I. Cam then proceeded to ask. Why did you give him our chicken? Why doesn't he have a house? Why doesn't he have an apartment? Why doesn't he have a job? In my mind before I answer I am thinking, TEACHING MOMENT - DON'T MESS THIS UP!!!! It was good. We had a good talk about what would Jesus do.
*The Scale and the Chocolate Doughnut - For two straight weeks I have worked out hard and eaten really well (not perfect but really good) I got on the scale Friday morning to discover I had gained a pound in those two weeks. Muscle weighs more than fat...WHATEVER! I need the fat to take a hike. FREAKING SCALE!!! I am pondering this while I am at work. I passed a 7 11 and I thought, BAG IT!! I'm going in for a double chocolate doughnut, my fave!!!! I pick up the doughnut and I look at the top, it's extra shiny, kind of odd, but ohwell. I walk to the register, and take a bite as I am paying for it. The cashier took one look at my face and knew something was WRONG. It was disgusting! I don't know if it was old or what the problem was, but she didn't make me pay for it. If you're going to jump off the wagon it better taste good! I did find a sugar cookie at Hug Hes cafe later in the day and it was DIVINE

*The Jesus Song - I have a resolution to pull out my very RUSTY piano skills. At random points in the day sit down and play a hymn or primary song. I have no intentions of being a pianist. I just want to be able to play a hymn or song in primary in a pinch. I was playing 'I am a child of God and Zoe came running in from the office to say, "Mom you're doing the Jesus song." I have no idea where she got that, so I am assuming it was nursery....gotta love nursery.

9 comments:

Steph said...

Ok you seriously just made my day!! Ok MY WEEK!!! I read this post and laughed so hard through the whole thing!! I think cause I was picturing the look on your face as he asked for you chicken!!!! I love laughing out loud, especially when no one knows what you are laughing at!

Natalie Winquist said...

Wow- it's the week for the homeless, I guess! Cam had a homeless lady come in, and out, and in, and out- (you get the idea) of the pawn shop today! Wouldn't talk or answer him- just stared at him! He said he felt really bad for her- but couldn't help being a little weirded out! I'm gonna send a full chicken to the shop with him from now on!! haha! wow- & the donut- oh my heck! That makes me sick to my stomach- well, not sick enough to resist eating one really soon- but still, a little gross!! haha! i love reading your "randomness"- makes the day a little brighter!! ;-)

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

I LOVED this post! It makes me feel like I want to be and DO better! I LOVE those double chocolate donuts too - yuck though:)

The White House said...

You make me laugh, what a wonderful way to lead by example for your little guy.

Grant and Alli said...

You are such a great person! We need more people like you:) That was such a nice thing to do!!

The Miles said...

Oh my hilarious...this post made me laugh pretty hard...sad for the homeless man. But way to be the good samaritan and give up your chicken!

Ang said...

I love the chicken story!!

Andrea said...

Cam will always remember you giving that man the chicken. You're fortunate to have an experience like that where he can learn first hand what it feels like to give to someone in need.

Katy said...

I hate that when you are expecting something to be good and it is not. Glad the 711 lady didn't make you pay for it. Too funny about the chicken!!!