Sunday, October 5, 2008

Dressed for Success

(sorry stock photo - I forgot my camera)
Min (dear darling sister) has run into some stress and is experiencing some health side effects because of it. My Dad has been living in her driveway in a trailer and has decided he would prefer to drink himself to death (literally) and needed to be moved into a trailer park. I flew to Portland Tuesday morning with the mission in mind of helping some of Min's stress by getting Dad's stuff moved into the new trailer (out of her driveway) and helping her with the kids for a couple of days. Note for posterity..Aunt Mindy is Superwoman - she invented the term multi-tasking. She has a stressful full time job, part time side job, manages her husbands jobs, mom of three kids, teaches gospel doctrine, she is amazing!!!!
I got on the plane and looked down at what I was wearing....camo shorts. Was this subliminal ?Was I going into battle? When I got to my rental car...the cheapest they had (no joke) was a Jeep Commander - army green. At this point I am convinced I am going into battle. My patriarchal blessing says I have a team of guardian angels watching out for me...those angels must be working over-time. I considered stopping at the pawn shop to pick up guns and ammo but decided it was only fun to think about. (25 years of dealing with an alcoholic father can make you a little crazy).
The good news is my dad is usually a quiet drunk..I found him in pretty good shape, he actually helped me with the first load. I ran errands for Min, hung out with her kids, and bought and hooked up various hoses at the new trailer. Three more loads and I had all of his stuff moved. Dad won't remember I was even there. When I left him he was very sad and ashamed. I told him I loved him, but didn't love his addiction, and once again he needed to figure this out on his own. Hopped back on the plane wednesday night - Mission accomplished! Big thanks to Brian for supporting me and Cass and Heidi for watching the kids.

No comments: