Sunday, October 26, 2008

The costume crazy Momma

This is 'Harvey two-face' from Batman (just in case you're not current on your super-heroes and villains). Cambridge wanted to be this for Halloween. Swell, they don't sell two-face at Walmart or the other Halloween stores, nor can you find his costume online. I can sew a straight line, when it comes to following a pattern that's a whole different story. The last time I followed patterns I was in Mrs. Kingsley's 8th grade sewing class. The only reason I survived that class is my friend Kath sat next to me and she is brilliant with patterns...seriously you should see her kids Halloween costumes. Brian my ever loving hubby believes I can buy a pattern and just whip this sucker out....hmmm no. I honestly can't follow a pattern. I did try again in high school to make a pair of shorts for Allan Ward for a couples dance....disaster....it took Allan a few weeks to talk to me again.) It attempts to avoid the pattern I hit several DI stores hoping to take apart two suit coats and sew them together. Its $80 for a suit coat at the DI (no way) I did find a white polyester suit jacket for $20! Yes! Bought it, came home and ripped it in half, believing I will just die the other half black and sew it back together....not so much...It turned out a lovely shade of dark purplish gray. With dragging feet I finally headed to the fabric store to buy pattern and material. Have you ever looked for a kids suit jacket pattern....not to be found..I bought an adult one, thinking I'd go with the smallest size. Bought material; only to bring it home and realize the white material didn't match the pants I had already made. (the pants came from an xsmall pair of white and black scrubs taken apart and sew back together). Today thinking relief had hit I drove to my friend Renae's house because she called to tell me she had an old lab coat that I could have and maybe it would take the die. I got the coat home only to have Cam tell me it didn't look like the picture....ok...starting over. I grabbed his old suit jacket, cut it in half, completely took the one side apart and used the pieces as my pattern....voila I am amazing! It worked, I have a black and white kid size suit jacket....I'll post a picture when he puts it on tomorrow. Thank Heavens Halloween is only once a year.

4 comments:

Sampson Cousins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

You are AMAZING!!! I totally would have given up and talked child into something that could be purchased!!! Bribed if necessary! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Jenny H said...

Wow Mel.
Super Mom of the year award. I bought my kids' at Wally World.

Natalie Winquist said...

There you go again being amazing Mel! Could you please just give the rest of us moms a break? Please? I beg of you! - Sincerely, the mother who has yet to figure out her children's costumes at all!