Monday, January 25, 2010

Sister Celestial Day

Project #1 Green smoothies
Project #2 LasagnaProject #3 Freshly ground wheat breadIf you want to put me in action, either tick me off, or make me feel incredibly guilty. To be totally honest I think the motivation behind today was a little of both. The Stake RS gave a talk yesterday about our homes being more "temple like" Here are some direct quotes from the talk,

"I grew up with a mom that worked and our home was always dark and cold even though we had light and electricity." I work, so is my home doom and gloom? Over and over she said, "While my children were growing up I was there every time to greet my husband and children when they came home" Someone is home, it's just not always me. "I always made sure I had a delicious snack waiting for them" Do Cool Ranch Doritos count? "Meal times are so important, we can show our family we love them by fixing delicious and nutricious meals for them" I might need to read the label on that TopRamen again. "We should have rooms in our homes that are like celestial rooms, my friend even put white carpet in hers." There is not, nor shall there ever be white carpet in my house!!!

HMMMM I know this sweet sister did not set out to offend me or anyone else. But is this real? I know it's not for those of us that work, and I do believe it's a tiny bit off the mark for those who do stay home. That being said I set out to have a sister celestial day. I was fortunate enough to be able to work from home today. Working took the place of laundry. (something had to go). This is how it went:

I made my kids a hot breakfast
We all prayed together before they left for school
Took Princess to Dance
Exercised
Took Princess and friend to the store for a treat and get groceries
Played Pretty Pretty Princess and entertained the two 4yr olds while:
Making 20 Green Smoothie shake bags (project #1)
Made 2 Lasagnas one for dinner one for later #2
Ground wheat and made bread #3
My delicious after school snack consisted of
yogurt and toast;
(not the best but that's what they wanted)
Helped Master and his friend film their latest spy segment
Ate dinner as a family
Did massive amounts of dishes all day
(from the projects)
Indy ran Sport to Karate while I prepared FHE
Did homework with kids after FHE
Put clean sheets on my bed
I"m sure I did other misc things like pick up, clean up, change diapers along the way etc.
*All while returning multiple phone calls, emails, txt messages for work
OH MY HELL!!!!
I'm exhausted. Sister Celestial is made out of better pioneer stock than I am because I couldn't do this day in and day out. The topper is being 20 weeks pregnant with a pinched sciatic nerve, OUCH!
I collapsed in bed only to be sooo wound up I couldn't fall asleep. My cousin is right I need some of that Tylenol PM. This is what I would like to end with. I'm happy for Sister Celestial. If that works for her, more power to her. I think there are good righteous women out there in different circumstances with different kids with different needs. We all can't do "IT" the same way. My way is not perfect but like the rest of you I juggle and try to make "IT" work.
This is from Elder Ballard Spring Conf 2008:
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part-or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."
AMEN

13 comments:

Steph said...

I got TIRED just reading all that you accomplished!! Way to go GIRLFRIEND!!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh. My. Heck. You REALLY did all of that in ONE day??? I had to laugh and laugh at the Sister Celestial quotes - I was thinking most of the same things while sitting there listening to that on Sunday. I stay at home, but I can promise that my day looks nothing like that - my kids are lucky if they get a homemade dinner every night - I'm not much of a homemaker - hee hee!!!

JENNILLE said...

Amen. Hilarious. I went to RS and they talked about no longer "Enrichment". Yea--but too bad they're replacing it with "RS Meetings".Anwyay, it was an intense lesson. I am serious. And we are NOT to give RS Mtg. suggestions. The committee and Bishop will let us know. Fine. But I was sitting there thinking, our church is way too intense. I want to create a list of things to cut. Just like a lot of corporations have done the past 2+ yrs., we need to downsize.
For starters:
No "Activity Days" for primary children. Over done!
YM/YW once a month activity not weekly
RS "Meetings" once a quarter
Church-2 hrs (it's too long for babies, kids, & me :)
I know, I am going to get zapped.

Jenny H said...

Melanie!
You are never allowed to do any of that again...especially after that talk. Nutritious and delicious snacks are way overrated. I prefer cool ranch Doritos any day.
You can't make me feel better about it Sunday night and then do all of it the next day!:)
I vote we give the next talk and discuss what real motherhood entails.
And, again, ...I'm glad you posted about this, and not me. I'm still working on being slow to offense.
And...I'm all for the two hour church block. I basically have created my own anyway!!ha!

Kelli said...

So...A couple thoughts...
First being at home when your kids and husband arrive with a delicious snack and a hot meal and having white carpet does not qualify you as a good, wonderful celestial sister/mother...But I do think we should try our best given the talents and abilities we do have to create a happy safe place for our family (I know you do)..

Second I actually appreciate going to church for 3 hours (admittedly it is challenging with 2 small kids) but where else is my spirit going to be nourished for 3 solid hours? When else am I going to focus on my testimony, on Christ and renewing my covenants. Try as I might it does not happen at home!

After living in Texas where Mormons are few and far between I've come to appreciate all the activities (for the youth and adults alike) designed for our spiritual well being. Especially those for our youth, they need those meetings with all they are bombarded with at school, with their non member friends and often in their own home. I think it is essential that they go to these activities to be reminded of who they are and why they are here. I think we all need those reminders.

Kelli said...

An afterthought...I know not all non member kids are a bad influence on the member kids...OK now I'm officially off my soap box! I didn't intend to sound all preachy!

Lori Conger said...

You hit the nail on the head for what I am talking about this weekend; in fact, I am even using that Elder Ballard quote. I loved your post. And honestly, maybe some times moms have near-perfect days, but most days they don't, and there's absolutely more than one way to be a fabulous mother! So, you just keep up the great work.

Katy said...

Oh my heck you are superwomen! And you had time to blog about it!

Lori Conger said...

By the way, I just want to tell Kelli (whoever she is) that I apprecate her comments. I have no chance of being a happy, good person and mother without the gospel and the programs of the church.

Mac said...

First of all what are green smoothies, they look good but not green:)
DO all you can and that is enough, not everyone can be perfect molly mormon wife. Give yourself a break. YOu are the best.

margaret said...

You are hilarious -- love reading your blog! Amen sista!

Andrea said...

Reading your post made me realize why I don't have many Sister Celestial friends. They bug me and they are fake. I prefer women who are confident enough in their own lives to share that it's hard being a mom, juggling everything and making it all work. I really think most women are trying to be the best moms they can be. I think I would have to drink 4 Dr. Peppers to get all the stuff done that you accomplish in one day.

. said...

I think that sister celestial is a little CRAZY!!!! I am sure you are a great mom. I went to Time Out for women and the speaker talked on parenting. She said that you should be your own best kind of mom. I agree with her we all can not be the same and every family has different situations.