Wednesday, January 20, 2010

7up

Happy Birthday Sport
Birthday pancakes from Cass Presents and more presents
This is one of those battery operated 4x4's and he has go figured out
but not STOP...It could be a long summer chasing Sport



It is very common given Sport's medical history and trisomy 21 that people ask "how is he doing?" ...So here is the Sport age 7 UPdate: He attends the same school as Master which makes things much easier on me. He is in the 'function skills' class most of the time. He does however spend a good amount of time with his regular 1st grade class doing art and music and other activities. He has 'helpers' in his reg-ed class and according to his teacher there are always students eager to volunteer to help Sport. One highlight of my day is putting him on the bus in the morning. He gets to his seat and turns to look out the window; he gives you the biggest cheesiest grin you've ever seen...I need to video this because it is so funny. He likes school but the minute he gets off the bus he says, "football mom" and "shorts mom". He still LOVES sports and everyday would be in heaven if he could wear his sports shorts and a Utes t-shirt to school. From a health perspective we have been especially blessed the past two years. Managing without a colon has it's challenges but I will take that any day over spending time at Primary Childrens Hospital. He continues with Karate 2x a week and private OT therapy x1 a week. Sport has taught me a great deal about the expectations I put on my children. I've learned to expect the best, but the best is judged by his standard and at his rate, and thus I am thrilled with the progress he does make. His speech has made HUGE strides in the past year. His favorite word is still NO! but he does love to stand behind you and say, "I'm gonna spank ya bum" and he gives you a nice little slap on the bum. At his IEP the other day one of the therapists that works with him, felt that Sport would, "never form thoughts and put them down on paper". If she had been there I would have slapped her. I understand that may be her professional opinion, but does she realize the kid can say a prayer out loud all by himself? He may not be able to write it yet but heavens, he's only in the first grade. There are moments I ponder what Sport would be like if he didn't have Down syndrome. Would he be different? What would he be doing? I have NO answers. I am so super glad he is here and he is mine.... the rest just doesn't matter.

6 comments:

Steph said...

Yet again you make me LAUGH out loud! Spank your bum! Love it! You can tell he is such a HAPPY boy!!! We are all blessed to have him in our lives on way or another!

Ang said...

He is so dang cute! Happy birthday!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

What a SWEETIE!! He looks So happy with his new toys too! Thanks for the update - it really is amazing at how good he is in primary - he's the most behaved of everyone - love watching him!!!

Jenny H said...

I am LIVID that a therapist would say something like that...really, words cannot express my anger right now.
I am so happy for his cute words being spoken. I hope you know that when we look at him, we see all the possibilities that our Deak may get to have.
HAPPY Birthday cute boy!!!

Mark said...

I just love him!!!!

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday Sport! We love you!