Friday, March 13, 2009

Lost...and found

Part of me doesn't even want to write this.... Wednesday Cass put Sport on the bus like always at 12:25 for afternoon kindergarten. At 2:00 his teacher called to ask if Sport was home sick today. NO he's at school! Wide spread panic broke out and they called back a few minutes later to let us know they had found him. For an hour and a half he wandered out on the kindergarten playground by himself. This playground has two gates but the gates are always propped open. There is street danger, a pond across the street, not to mention stranger danger. I've been sick for two days thinking what could have been. How many times do we pray for protection in a day. Sport was truly protected and I am so grateful!!!! By the time I got the full story (after getting home from work) I was livid, a mess, angry, frustrated etc etc. Brian and I met with his teacher first thing Thursday morning and she was very apologetic. Sport had gone to the top of the slide to play with friends and was not waiting in the usual place she always finds him. She assumed he was home sick. Some child apparently cofirmed to her as well, that Sport had not come that day. The other kids went into their regular classes. At 2 the speech therapist came looking for Sport and mentioned that the reg-ed teacher had found a spider man back-pack on the play ground. They opened the back-pack and sure enough it was Sport's but no Sport to be found; that's when she called the house. The principal was busy Thursday morning and I asked her to please call me. After no return phone call I once again trooped over to the school today to meet with her in person. I had to say some serious prayers to keep my mama bear in control. I wanted to rip someones head off. I told them to assume Sport will be there every day unless I call. I also insisted someone be out there with all the kindergarten students before school starts. There are 50 kids playing completely un-attended with two separate gates propped open. The question is why do we have to wait for something bad to happen to make changes? The school does not enforce it's visitor or locked door policy. They just assume we live in safe area. I told the Principal I did not want to create an adversarial or contentious relationship with her, however I was firm in my resolve to see changes happen. I want not only my special needs child be safe, but Cambridge and other the other kids at the school. She says she wants that as well. We'll see what happens.

8 comments:

Jenny H said...

Mel.
I am still in shock about this, and so glad you went back to the school today. You are right on with your feelings about the changes.
Remember what I said......;)

amysue said...

Wow, that would never happen here, maybe you should move to Texas. Glad everything is OK. If we don't fight for our kids, who will?

Katherine said...

I'm sick to my stomach! I CANNOT belive that he could be wandering for all that time by himself. I am so sorry! I can't believe all that could have happened but am SO GLAD that Remi was being watched over and kept safe by his loving Father who knew where he was.

Fight for that kid, Mel! He has fought enough fights in his short life. Hold that school to their word!

Ang said...

Melanie, that is so scary! I'm glad everything worked out ok. That picture of Remy is so cute!!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

I am so sorry that happened. What an awful thing to have to go through. I am glad he is okay...

Grant and Alli said...

I'm SO glad he is okay!!!!What a scare...:(

Steph said...

I second all those great comments!!! Give little bud a hug for me!!! I hate when things like this happen!!!

Danny and Becky DuPaix said...

Wow Mel, that's crazy and so scary! I would have acted the same way! Did you know Danny is going into special Ed?..random side note