Saturday, June 18, 2011

To be or not to be Private and Comparisons

I'm thinking it's time.  I try to be as open and as transparent as possible on my blog but I've had two really bad experiences in the last two weeks;  it has come back to haunt me. Have you ever sat down to read a blog and it made you feel bad?  Maybe you were not in the best place yourself and then you looked at someone else's "perfect life". And try as you might you compared.  When we compare it leads to jealousy and pride, both are extremely destructive.  They are negative thoughts which only lead to more negative emotions.  There is a great quote by Sister Hinkley (which I am determined to find) that talks about pride is not in the having it's in the comparing.   When we read other people's blog we have no control over what they post.  It's their blog after-all.  If they choose to post only positive stuff then that is their right.  On the positive side, I think blogging and sharing is awesome.  It has allowed me to see and hear the perspective of others.  It has allowed my to keep current with what is going on in someones life that I may not see very often.  I may not see or know that person but their words may touch my heart and help me in a way they will never know.  On the negative side, I know that for me I can't go blog surfing if I'm in a negative place.  It's like giving Satan an open pass to plant negative thoughts and feelings.  As much as I try to give a true picture on my blog; I edit.  Have you read "The Secret"?  I don't always want to throw my negative thoughts and feelings to the universe by blogging about them.
What is the solution?  Go private?  I think if it makes you feel bad, don't read it.  If  my blog has made someone feel bad or less than; I truly apologize.  Meanwhile I'm not sure what to do; any thoughts out there?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE your blog! I think you have excellent insight. You are about the funniest, wittiest girl around! I say that if anyone reading your blog has a problem with it or your posting, then they should GO AWAY!!! That's right rude person...GO AWAY...you don't need to waste your time looking at this amazing blog! Go find some self righteous blog and have yourself a GREAT time and stay away from this one! GOT IT!!

I hope my comment wasn't too harsh, I just love ya Mel! I think you are one of the MOST amazing women I know and I feel truly HONORED to be considered your friend!

Loves,
Tif

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

My one insight is that I don't read my friends with private blogs near as much as my updated roll blogs. I hate that they don't update - that's my main gripe with private blogs, and that it seemed when I was private, that every other day I had to add someone new to the list - kind of a pain. I LOVE your blog and I love the way you are open and honest. I know mine is one of those "positive" blogs, but that is because mine is mostly pics and I am NOT a writer - as much as I wish I could be:) Good luck!!

Jenny H said...

Do what makes you feel comfortable. I know your gut, and its a good one, trust it.;) Your genuine attempt to write your family's history is never a negative thing. Editing is good, and also genuine; without "filters" honesty can sometimes become too much.
And remember, some people will always have something to say. Private, non-private-friend, or stranger. Don't let them make your decision for you. Love ya.

Nicole M said...

You have a hard time reading positive blogs, and I have a hard time reading negative ones...everyone is different, which is why we need to take blogging with a grain of salt, or it CAN be destructive! I pretty much have only a handful of blogs I read regularly, and yours is one of them because I find it so funny.

I actually like having my blog private, and I liked even more making it really private (narrowing down readers) because I was worried about offending people without that being my intentions. Maybe they'll still judge, but I'm confident that their opinions of me as a person won't change. Good luck with your decision! I agree with your friend...it's YOUR decision and it's unique to your circumstances and comfort level.

Andrea said...

I think the blogging world is so weird! You feel like you are close to people, but in reality it's just a one-sided conversation (unless people comment). I always feel weird when someone I haven't talked to in a long time, randomly brings up things I posted on my blog. I think, "how do they know that?" and then remember that I posted it on my blog. I think going private gives you more options to know who is reading your blog. I know what you mean, though, about the whole blogging insanity!