Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hell in a Hand-basket

Some Sundays I come home from church and I am convinced this is where I'm going.  I was in a good place today. (I thought) Sacrament meeting was great, Sunday School was great, Relief Society I had high hopes for, but it didn't turn out that way.  The lesson was on Julie B. Beck's talk about fulfilling your mission and the teacher focused  on being the "lioness at the doorway".  Our ward has two distinct geographic neighborhoods to it.  Everyone that she quoted and held up as an example was from her neighborhood. Fine whatever, if they are all lionesses in that neighborhood, what does that make the rest of us?  She then continued to hold up her sister-in-law as a great lioness because she baked cookies for her son's Prom date to thank her for wearing a modest dress. I think that's weird. When I was in high school I would have thought that super weird....again fine whatever... She then told another example of her other sister-in-law that lives in California.  Apparently because there were no modest LDS girls in her son's ENTIRE high school she drove 2 hours south to pick up a girl that he had met at youth conference so he could take Her to his Prom; thus this awesome mom is a 'lioness at the gate'.   I am obviously not a lioness at the gate because I wouldn't do either thing as a mom.  In this example I see a mom that said it's ok to judge your entire high school female population as not  modest because none of them are LDS. ? really?   I know I know, surely I don't have the whole story.....But it got me thinking about my own prom dresses and modesty.  Mine were mostly modest, some may have showed a little shoulder, and a little back.  I certainly didn't go dressed as a pioneer but it could have been worse.  One of my cute friends that was head cheerleader, she had a few sassy numbers and she looked freakin hot in them.  She is now currently serving as the young women's president in her ward....so what do you make of that?  This is what I make of it.  My mom was a lioness at the gate because she wasn't freaking out about a little shoulder or a little back showing.  Her trust and relationship meant more than a hard line in the sand about a dress.  I guarantee if she had made it an issue; I would have made it an issue right back; because that's what teenagers do.  The lesson right before RS in Sunday school was on hypocrisy.  We read in the Bible (Mathew 23) where they (scribes and pharisees) had paid their tithes, gave to the poor attended worship services and went regularly to the temple. Jesus (in my words) said great but you missed the boat.  They missed the faith, charity and 'weightier matters'. Jesus says they have 'blinders' on.  I am scared, as in scared to death to navigate the teenage years with my children and I know I will make PLENTY of mistakes. My interpretation of the 'lioness at the door" is this: my mom did a great job with all of us and I pray I will follow her example and be in tune to the 'weightier matters' of my children's lives.

3 comments:

Jenny H said...

I could not agree with you more. I'm sitting here reading this almost jumping out of my seat with a "hear! Hear!";) Unfortunately, lots of us miss the boat around here. I need to be in Relief Society with you again so we can raise our hand and comment together. Working moms with different lioness attitudes unite!!;)

Katherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine said...

You know I love you tons! Twenty years of friendship buys me the right to not agree, right?

I can't say I'd be baking cookies for my sons date but I love Julie Beck and her talk is fabulous and we need more moms willing to make the hard choices. The battle isn't fought at 17 over a prom dress, the battle needs to have been fought and won at age 6 with the standards in place when mom has the buying power and the money.

As a mom of three (sometimes five) boys, I pray that their prom dates will be modest. It isn't that I would judge a non-LDS girl to maintain my standards, but I would hope an LDS girl would choose to follow her own standards and if she chooses not to, without judging her, I would wonder where her commitment to the standards is.

We have been using the Strength of the Youth pamphlet as our FHE subjects and the dress/appearance is pretty straightforward. But you have to start young. Just last month I went to EIGHT stores in one week trying to find shorts for my daughter that weren't the shorty-shorts that are everywhere. It would have been easy to just go along with the trend but if more of us would buck the trend, maybe the stores (especially in Utah) would get the idea.

I know your post wasn't about modesty - but I want to defend it, knowing that modesty doesn't mean pioneer garb and that you can be just as cute and fashionable in modest clothes as without.

I absolutely agree that those teenage years will be full of 'weightier matters'. I've done high school with one boy and know that the issues differ with girls. Your mom was wise to know the mountains from the molehills. But she had given you the right start by teaching you the right standards and trusting and loving you. She was a lioness. You will do the same for your kids (I've seen the lioness in you) and you will do awesome!

Hugs!