Sunday, April 25, 2010

Every Step He Takes....


This was Sport's first tournament. He competed in the obstacle course and ladders course. The obstacle course pictured above is a timed event. He was the last to go in his division. He, for obvious reasons, got his own helper.




This course was pretty easy for most kids. For Sport it took considerable effort. Because he was the last to go, and it took him some time to complete, the entire crowd was cheering for him and the closer he got to the finish line the louder they cheered.


Posted by PicasaThis picture is fuzzy because between his smile and the cheering of the crowd I was balling my eyes out.

Why is that? Why would a crowd who doesn't know my son, has no idea what he's been through, together cheer louder for him than any other kid? Obviously they can see he has Down syndrome but why do they cheer for the Downy kid who finishes last? From a parents view, I am just as proud of Master as I am of Sport.

The only thing I could come up with is... Each of us has difficult things to over-come in our lives. Times we have tried and failed. We all want to win. We all want to cross the finish line, in spite of our difficulties, whatever they may be. We live in a very competitive world. Being the BEST or FIRST is sometimes prized above all. But sometimes when we realize it's not about being FIRST or the BEST, but dealing with, and over-coming, that which we've been given is the greater victory. And that Victory becomes that much sweeter as we cheer each other on in the process.

10 comments:

Posh Ideas said...

So cute! Way to go Rems.

Candice said...

Awww...that is so precious. What an accomplishmetn! I think people cheer more becaue they know he had to work harder.

Mark and Jana said...

I got chills reading this. I love Rems and the grin on his face is priceless.

Jenny H said...

Been waiting to see the pictures! Great job to both boys!!

Matt said...

Is there a purer expression of true joy - than the one on his face?

Andrea said...

Your post made me totally teary. There is something so amazing seeing the joy in Sports' face as he participated in those hurdles. What a beautiful boy!

Hyde Family said...

WAHOO! I can almost hear the crowd cheering, and by the cheese on his face, he was loving it!! Great job boys! Cayden is sitting next to me going, "uh, I wanna be in karate!"
PS I love the sail boats!

Kelli said...

Super sweet boy and story! Thanks a lot for making me cry!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Melanie--your kids are beautiful. Thanks so much for letting me know about your blog. I will enjoy keeping up with you and your beautiful family. Does Mindy have a blog too? I see your SIL and Matt every once in a while because our kids go to the same school!

Danny and Becky DuPaix said...

What a cute kid! Loved your comment on my blog btw. Danny told me he wants Rem in his class one day. Anyway, I really like the bedding you chose. Very cute! Can't go wrong with PB. How you feeling?