Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why Why Why?

I have a love/hate relationship with the 'Why' question. When you ask the question 'why?" you want an answer...and sometimes there just isn't one. Why do people do triathlons? Sometimes it's a lifetime goal, or maybe it's to loose weight, or maybe someone challenged them. Why am I doing this triathlon? In this case I can tell you exactly why..... his mom
A year ago Jack's mom Tiff (cute cousin Coby's wife) in the thick of dealing with the grief of loosing Jack decided to do this triathlon and put the question out "I'm dedicating this race to Jack who will do it with me"? At that point I don't own a road bike, pretty much detest running, and have never done any lap swimming in my life. Right then and there I committed and said I would do the race with her. I know this show of support is small, but oh how I admire the strength, character ,and courage Tiff and Cob have shown. In my own life I think about my Sport and how often he has danced with death. When you have watched your son code and literally be only sustained my the life-support machines breathing for him, it changes you. It changes your perspective. With any of these precious little gifts that God sends us, be that perfectly healthy like Jack or not so perfect like Sport there are no guarantees on the amount of time we get with them. Lately I've thought a lot about 'why' I'm a Mormon. That's another question I don't have all the answers for. I will say one of the for sure reasons is the blessings of the Temple. I love the fact that each one of my babies are born under the blessings of the covenant and they are sealed mine forever and ever no matter what happens.
So..long story short....Jackie Ju this race is for you and your mama too!

5 comments:

Jenny H said...

You are amazing Mel. That sweet boy will be with you guys.

Andrea said...

That was beautiful. Good luck with your triathlon. You are doing it with a wonderful purpose.

Kelli said...

I admire all of you and your "strength, character and courage"! You are an inspiration! Good luck Tiff and Mel. Our hearts are with you and Jackie too!

Grant and Alli said...

Mel!!! Congrats on being pregnant:) You are such an awsome Mom, that baby will be so lucky:) Good luck on the triathalon, you will do great:) Miss ya.

Tiffany said...

Oh...words can not even describe the overwhelming amount of love I have for you! That post was so beautiful. Thank you for standing by me. Thank you for all the hours of sacrifice you had to make in order to do this thing with me. I have always admired you Mel. I love you more than you will ever know.