Sunday, November 9, 2008

Be grateful for the hard things....

During one of Remington's many stays Primary Childrens Hospital there were paper leaves posted in the stairwell. People passing by could write on a leaf and the volunteers would tape them to the wall. One leaf said, "I am grateful God has given me a life far richer than I would have chosen for myself."...... I don't think this means material riches AND if we did have a choice... Would we choose the hard things? Call me wimpy but I doubt I stood in Heaven and said Give me ALL of the really tough stuff. I think this leaf author was grateful for the hard things, the hard things that make us grow and develop character, the things that maybe we wouldn't choose on our own.
I think there are hard things that in this life we will never be grateful for, but I know there are some that increase our depth and make us better, more Christ like people.
I could write a VERY long post about Remy and Down Syndrome. During his 5 Surgeries 13 Hospital Stays and ?? ER visits I don't think I was feeling very grateful for my 'hard things'.
If Remy's "deal" was to come to this earth life with an extra 21st chromosome, I am eternally grateful he chose us. There are hard moments. Moments when I loose patience and I feel like I can't do this. Times when my heart breaks because we haven't found a cure for his chronic pain. So why am I grateful for this? Because the 'hard things' also bring great JOY. Remy is the expert on cuddling. He loves the NFL and NBA like no other 5yr old I've ever seen. He has the BEST laugh. He has the greatest sense of humor and he has these really cool eyes that tell you he knows and understands more than you realize. Hopefully through this process I am learning the things I NEED to be worthy of 'Together Forever'

10 comments:

Kim said...

Melanie, you are such a blessing in my life. I love you, and I love your life. Thanks for being who you are and for enriching me.

Jenny H said...

Sweet Remy.
I needed this today. I have been wanting to feel selfish and self-loathing lately, and I needed a good reminder.
This picture reminds me so much of Deak's newborn pics...

Mark and Jana said...

Thanks Mel-that was just the post I needed.

Natalie Winquist said...

Mel (posting queen)!!- I've been outta town but wanted to tell you I love the pics of Halloween, the baptism, and cute Remy!! You are so insightful & so reflective! I love to read your perspective on so many different things, from politics, to family, to trials & hardships, to good ol fashion fun stuff!!! You are an intelligent, beautiful, thought-provoking woman & definitely a 'true blessing' to those around you!

Steph said...

Cute Remz!!!! Wow he has come along way! I'll never forget when we talked about that. What a blessing! I'm not quit sure how to explane it, besides, your family wouldn't be, without REM!!!!! That is all I have to say about THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris & Breanne Coccimiglio said...

Melanie You are such a great example. I love to read your blog for that reason! We all need to be grateful for the hard times in our lives. I do especially! Thanks for reminding me! Oh by the way I heard about Alan...I am so sorry. I can't believe he was that way. He is just an grumpy old man so don't worry about it!

amysue said...

I love that, you are truly blessed to have Remy

Katherine said...

You are perfect! I loved the post and the picture.

AJ Gorham said...

Thank you for such a sweet post! You are a great mom!

Matt said...

Thanks Sis, for the material for my talk in Sac Mtg this past week. I had to talk about the scripture in 2 Nephi 31:20, where it talks about enduring to the end. This post fit very well into my talk. I basically quoted you and read it verbatim. Good stuff. Remy is the stuff of miracles.