Thursday, March 18, 2010

Get your Green on!

I like St Patrick's Day because it is typically a no stress holiday. I will sometimes do green pancakes but nothing usually too fancy. This year without any prior planning, about 4:00 in the afternoon, I thought it would be fun to do a little extra. 1 stop at Zurchers, $20, and 5 minutes to throw it on the table and WA-LA (note this is far below my mother's standards with the paper plates and all, but sometimes that's ok) Indy called about 5:00 and said he wouldn't be home for dinner, he needed to help out his mom. No worries.After Karate I mentioned to the kids that a little Leprechaun had just visited the house and left them a trail of gold leading to some lucky envelopes of money, but the little leprechaun had turned their dinner green.
All went well until we sat down to dinner of green pancakes and green eggs. Pie burst into tears saying that she "couldn't possibly eat a green dinner," and cried so hard she started choking on a grape. Master starts yelling, "she's choking, she's choking. I grabbed her to do the Heimlich and nothing came out. I turned her upside down held by her ankles and whacked her on the back..out came the grape. News flash don't let your 4yr old cry and eat at the same time. Sport then starts yelling, "new eggs mom, new eggs." The kid LOVES eggs but clearly NOT green eggs. I got Pie calmed down, managed to have Sport eat some eggs, left a huge mess on the table and took the kids downstairs to start homework. Master and I got into an argument about his homework. (Why oh why do kids have to question you? He hasn't figured out I really do know more than he does). Pie started complaining about something and Sport just kept yelling "NO" every time I asked him to read his book. About this time Indy called to ask how things were going and to say he was on his way home. HALLELUJAH!!! Happy St. Patrick's Day

4 comments:

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

hahaha - I am Laughing mostly because this sounds like something that would happen at my house - especially the questioning of the homework(and piano of course) - why do they think we are SO dumb??
Good job on the "green" dinner though - you did good!!

Jenny H said...

lol! OH mel, that made my morning. The homework things totally bugs.

margaret said...

Had lunch with your mom today -- she was totally proud you decorated for St. Pat's even if you used paper products -- it looks cute! That choking thing is scary --that's why they make mothers young! Too bad about the green eggs - no matter how hard we try, sometimes we run amok.

Ang said...

Melanie, I have a question for you...remember how you posted about how to block people from being able to copy your pictures? I want that on my public blog but I couldn't find it again on your blog. Could you send it to me? Thanks!