Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lessons of my youth....ode to Janette

My mom has this fabulous cousin. She is vivacious and talented and.....long story short, she has a lot of admirable qualities. Once a very very long time ago I heard her say...." if you ever need your lawn mowed and your husband is not around. Put on a dress and go out and start mowing...pretty soon a neighbor will drive by and 'He' will offer to do it for you. " Thinking at the time I could NOT imagine mowing the lawn in a dress .... I would file that story away, as useful information for another time.

Last week Brian found out the day we were to leave to go camping with friends he needed to be in LA. Somehow it was decided I would follow our friends up on Thursday and Brian would come up early Friday morning. That meant hauling the kids and trailer by myself. Normally I am a 'can do' or a 'figure it out' kind of girl. When Brian gave me the list of tie downs, jack stands, and generator parts I needed to obtain before leaving I was a bit nervous. My biggest cause of concern was the generator. I have never even turned on the generator. What if I bought the wrong parts? For sure if I couldn't turn it on, I couldn't install the parts. Ta Da TOTAL RECALL I was headed to work anyway....I put on my black pencil skirt and high heels; loaded the generator in the car (with help..thanks Cass) and headed to the motorcycle shop. I put on my damsel in distress and within about 30 minutes without an appointment I had the right parts, installed, and a quick lesson on how to run the thing.... LOVES to Janette that advice!!!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

That is awesome!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Ha ha - I LOVE that!!!

Jenny H said...

Gotta love the heels and pencil skirt...and a little pat on the back for making your hottness work for ya!

Janette-Mom-Omi said...

Melanie...I am beyond honored after reading your blog. I'm so glad you remembered my advice...works every time! I enjoyed reading all your blog!
Love,
The infamous Janette

JENNILLE said...

That is hilarious. She is a woman who knows how to get what she wants. Sounds like you do too! :)

margaret said...

Mel -- It seems like everytime we went on a trip Bill had to work later than he thought or leave early to get back to work. I think I ended flying with all the kids by myself on almost every trip we ever went on. I think one time I even had to take a neighbor with me to help when Sara was a baby. Good times!

Tiffany said...

BRILLIANT!!! I LOVE IT!!! I would DEFINITELY try it!

Danny and Becky DuPaix said...

k, that is pretty funny! I don't do the lawn... In our old house we had a pretty big lawn and garden that needed a lot of work. I chose to mow because it seemed easier then weeding, after running the lawn mower into the swing set, and my body running into the mower with gravity, I stopped and said "Danny I can't do this, I'm a LADY (in an English accent)... works every time!

Nicole M said...

That is so awesome...I emailed my mom and told her to check out your blog! I knew she'd love it. Way to remember her "advice".