Saturday, July 18, 2009

Knowing what you now know...and regrets...

I had the opportunity to spend some time with a friend/co worker today that is very young and dying of cancer. He is not a Mormon nor does he believe in the 'next life' or hereafter. I asked him today, if he could go back, what he would do different in his life. His answers revolved around his wife and family and choices he made in his career. It made me think if the situation were reversed what I would say. My Mootz always said, "If you had to do 'it' all over again you would just make a brand new set of mistakes'. I believe that. No life is meant to be 'perfect' there would be no point in being here if there was. Through our conversation I realized how grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation. I think the here and now matters more when you know there is going to be a 'later'.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I like Mootz's comment.
But even though we can't "go back" (even if we wanted to), I'm glad for those moments of clarity that allow us to redirect our course. We can't go back, but we can move forward with a new determination to not continue making the same mistakes, or focusing on the wrong goals, or whatever it might be that causes the regrets.
Sometimes it takes someone else to remind us of our own mortality and of the bigger picture to help us along our own course.
Thanks for sharing. How sad for your coworker! I hope his family is able to find peace.