Monday, January 31, 2011

Places you do and do not go...



Posted by PicasaWhere I can go...
 Ever since Sport turned 8 he has been pushing my patience to the limit. He was being so cute tonight helping to put away the silverware I had to hurry and take his picture.  Just after putting the silverware away he sat down at the kitchen table to work on homework.  I know that sounds mundane and everyday but he is still working so hard to master writing his name. I am so proud of him.
Where I can't go..
 I made bread this evening and I ran some over to the neighbors.  They have a darling boy the same age as Sport and he is also getting baptised this Saturday. And for the briefest of moments I thought what would Sport be doing if he didn't have that extra chromosome?  What projects would he be working on?  Would being baptised mean something more to him?
Where I am...
When Sport was just a baby I had another Downy mom tell me our road with him would be a great adventure just a different adventure than others.
Oh how I love him just the way he is.
I would not trade those stubby little hands, thick little tongue, or squinty eyes for anything in the world.
People always say "they only come to special parents"
We don't think that is true,
 Sport is the special one,
we're just lucky he chose us.

5 comments:

Sara Lou said...

Does Sport LOVE beads?! My bro-in-law's cousin (sounds distant but we had Thanksgiving dinner with his aunt and family as well as visited on other occasions)is Downs and she LOVES beads. She always has them with her or on her! I love the perspective you have with Sport and that you share it, it helps give me perspective and understanding.

Steph said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Jenny H said...

I can't wait to hear about the Baptism and if he agrees to deal with the "ghost.":)
I know this feeling well...and thankfully have had you to help me through some of my "do not go there" times. Momentous events seem to take me there as well...
Cute boy...and although I understand what you are saying, I do think he is pretty dang lucky to have you and Brian too.

Matt said...

I can't even type what I want to say without getting a little teary. Having given that boy a number of blessings, including his Name and a blessing in the halls of Primary's, he has this little place within my heart like he is one of my own. There are many things we can ask "what if" about in our lives. What if, what if, what if. Yet here we are, grateful for the blessings and trials that are ours. I love this boy, and I love his smile, his laughter, his sense of humor, and his sports team choices!
And for the record, while he may have chosen you, I think you chose him as well. I don't know of two better parents to care for such a wonderful boy.

Tiffany said...

Your post is just beautiful. I'm still trying to fight off my tears....oh nevermind...here they come! I admire you sooo much! I look up to you more than you know. I have always admired your strength and outlook on things. You're right, you're BOTH lucky to have chosen each other. He got quite a deal when he chose you and Bri! Love ya girl!