Saturday, January 14, 2012

Head Games, 'my take' and Reality


Lately (like the whole holiday season) and since then I have been deep inside my head on this one. It could just be the ages of my kids, it could be the fact I have a special needs child, it could be I'm over analyzing this.  This is the deal....  I am for the most part a glass half full person.  I really really believe in looking for the positive, speaking of the positive and throwing the positive to the universe.  I look forward with positive anticipation to events that are planned in my life, I like having things to look forward too, for me it wards off depression.  Example: I was totally looking forward to the SFO trip to watch the Steelers back in December with Indy.  It was nothing close to what I had envisioned in my head.  Indy was sicker than sick, we had to run for our flight (because I forgot my license) we were late getting to the game, the stadium had a black-out and shut the gates so we were even later getting into our seats, the dumb Steelers couldn't score a single touchdown, we had to wait 2.5hours in line for a taxi after the game.  On the other hand....We have the tradition in December of taking the kids to get an ornament on the Christmas Porch at Rainbow Gardens in Ogden.  This place if full of breakable things.  With my children including Dennis the Menace I was not looking forward to this, in fact I was dreading it!!!  It turned out awesome.  My kids were great, we didn't break or accidentally steal anything in the store.  So???? do I go around thinking everything is going to SUCK and then be pleasantly surprised??  That kind of shoots my whole 'be positive theory'.  So what's 'my take'?  I'm honestly not sure.  When someone asks me about our trip to SFO I can say it was horrible!!!  Or I could say we had awesome seats and it was incredible to see the players that close.  Both 'takes' are true.  I guess reality is both.  What do you think?

2 comments:

The Rich's said...

I think you are a pretty positive person. I thought that I was a positive person also, but apparently some people think that I'm a glass half empty kinda person (as of lately). Here's the deal, I think sometimes it is just easier to look at it half empty and then be pleasantly surprised (like going to a movie with low expectations and really liking it). I don't always have the attitude of half empty, but sad to say sometimes I do. I really need to work on it. But you on the other hand always think the best and look for the best, at least that's what I've noticed about you. I love reading your blog cause it seriously inspires me to be a better person and mom! Thanks Mel. (sorry for writing a novel here)

Jenny H said...

It's called realistic expectations, honesty and recognizing the moments that are good regardless. You do a great job with all of the above.