Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spudman 2013

Leaving the reunion to go race!
Making sure I've got ALL my stuff
Race morning
My friend Hillary getting in the water
After the race
Why? I think everyone has a different Why for doing races.  Of this Triathlon I love the swim, I love the bike and the run is torture.  My goal is to get to a place where running doesn't hurt.  I don't need to be fast I just want to not hurt.  This time it was my groin that gave out on mile 4.5  BUT I still finished with a personal record 2:56 for a mile swim 25 mile bike and 10K run.  Not awesome but not bad.  My dear mother can not figure out why I do this especially if it hurts.  I cried when I crossed the finish line. I cried because I set a goal and I made it, despite the owies or set backs along the way.  I cried because I am grateful for a body that can do this race and I want to be doing this race when I am 75.  As a friend of mine said, "I am stacking the deck in my favor"  The race keeps me motivated to try and be as healthy as I can.  I value the ability to go and do what I want to do, so hopefully those healthy choices will keep me on the right track.  I will also say I sure love that guy next to me.

No comments: