Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Vacation re-defined.





Serious business

We took a week off and headed to the cabin.  I know what you're thinking...Ahhhh sweet vacation!  Well, that would only be true if you count laying sod, painting doors, chasing after children, organizing and cleaning as a vacation.  We had friends and family join us on the weekend.  The question I've been asking myself for the past week is where is that sweet spot between teaching your kids to work and having fun.  I realize that spot is going to vary by your perspective. (being the kid or the adult).  In case you're dreaming of owning a cabin.  Start dreaming of years and years of projects.  The projects get old and tiresome and expensive, but maybe I should be grateful they are giving me an opportunity to teach my children to work.
We did need a break for a fashion show....



and a little 4-wheeling



 Rocket Launching




 And a little time to chill












Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Matt said...

If we don't teach our children to work, then we do them a great injustice. Heaven knows I grumbled about our dear Great Aunt and her work details at the cabin when we were young. But I can now see the wisdom in it. No work, no play.
I think one of the biggest keys is expectation management. I think it begins ever before arriving at the cabin (or any situation where work could/should be required). It starts with us as parents letting them know what the situation is, and helping set the expectations. If we don't do this, then the child naturally assumes that it's vacation party time, and all they have to do is show up and have fun. We need to be diligent in offering many opportunities for work, such as learning a skill (laundry for example), and then also providing the reward (free time, play, special trips, treats).
My vote, keep doing what you're doing. And for the record, my children do not think that you are the mean aunt. :-)